TiM — Timed control map Maker
A simple tool for preparing timed control maps
from SVG/XML files exported from OCAD.
The tool creates SVG files with cover sheets, competition and solution maps,
optionally converting them to other graphic formats and printing.
TiM can also prepare maps for using directly on tablets with
OCAD sample files
have been prepared by Ari Tertsunen. Thanx!
OCAD versions supported:
Of course, you don't need a full map making version of OCAD, you can use
any map (OOmapper tested) as a backgroung for
the Course Setting version of OCAD 12, which is much cheaper and supports
the SVG exports.
- OCAD 9 (Professional version needed for SVG export)
Full support; TiM can also make the column B description (A-E/A-F)
by himself, so you don't need to worry about it
(see the COLB option in the configuration file).
- OCAD 10 (Professional version needed for SVG export)
- OCAD 11
Not tested. However, due to full support of versions 10 and 12
we believe in full support of this version, too.
- OCAD 12
Full support. Moreover, it seems that this version includes SVG
exporting even in the Standard version!
- OCAD 2018
Or, if you want to use TiM just for a single event, you can try to use
the Trial version.
It has limited number of courses and objects per course, so you have to make
one OCAD file for each station and one TiM configuration file as well.
If you want to make solution maps,
you cannot use letter markers there.
However, it still works...
Originally, TiM was written as a UNIX script.
Now, the version 4 of TiM is a Windows program. You can simply
download it and run it.
In TiM, you choose the File / New menu item
and select your directory with OCAD exports.
TiM tries to prepare a configuration file with parameters for you
and you need just to tune them a bit (if you want)
and add some more information (like contour interval, event title, logo etc.)
in TiM's GUI.
If you want TiM to make not only SVG maps, but also PDF, PNG, PS or EPS,
you will need a software for it.
I use Inkscape even though it (like many other programs)
sometimes has problems
with some types of raster map symbols (marsh, undergrowth, semiopen...).
This software must be also installed and
you will have to configure path to the executable
(using the System.WINPATH option).
Another way to produce PDF is any on-line converter.
I tested this
and the results are very good.
The preparation differs a bit according to whether you wan to measure
rotation angles manually or let TiM to calculate them by himself, and if
you want to make also the Solution maps.
The last alternative is well described in the
prepared by Ari Tertsunen.
||Check the View mode of the background map
(save the map OCAD file as "Normal").
||Create a course map with controls
and control descriptions.
You can also cut the control circles if you want/need
but do not make too short arcs
and check the result very carefully in this case!|
Using a file name with only ASCII characters
(no national alphabet characters) is recommended.
||Add a single start symbol (same for all stations)
and place it next to the control clusters.
||Make a single course for each station, name them properly
(e.g. St1, St2, even if they are in separate files needed for the trial
version of OCAD) and assign the start symbol and all tasks in correct order
to each course.
Using course names with only ASCII characters
(no national alphabet characters) is recommended.
||Create OCAD symbols for the decision point ("chair"),
correct flag, false flag and zero position.
Correct flag means a flag correct for at least one task at the station,
however, if you prefer not to distinguish between correct and false flags
in the solution map, you can use just one type of symbol.
All these symbols must be of the Course setting symbol/Finish
Use OCAD symbol major numbers (before the dot) higher than 20
since the lower numbers are reserved for control description symbols.
You can use a sample OCAD file
and copy'n'paste (and modify if you want) the symbols.
There are two sets of special symbols, use the set with a "T" in the icon.
Do not rotate the chair symbol, TiM will do it by himself!
||Place all the above symbols to proper positions in the map
and assign them to the particular course
(behind the real controls!).
||Optional step; if you want the flag letters in the solution maps:
Create OCAD symbols for flag position letter tags ("A" to "F")
and follow the instructions in step 4.
They are also included in the sample OCAD file.
||For each station, go to the Preview mode, move the numbers for
"faked" controls (chair, flags, letters) somewhere aside and then
place real task numbers properly.
Another possibility is to switch off the task numbers in solution maps
in the configuration (Solutions→Task numbers).
Task numbers are not absolutely necessary,
especially when making maps for the TempO Simulator (WEB mode).
||Add a control description placeholder somewhere close
to the clusters in the map
(don't worry about covering clusters –
TiM will remove the control descriptions from maps).
Check that the area you will export contains all (entire) lines
with control descriptions of real tasks!
||Export all course maps to SVG files.
Use menu File→Export, select SVG format,
check Partial map and mark a region
that covers both the station surroundings and
the control description field,
uncheck Compress file and then choose all courses
(e.g. using the button Select all – do not use <All controls>).
||Export the course list into an XML file
— menu Course→Export→Courses (XML, IOF Version 2.0.3 or 3.0).
||Measure the angles toward the Alpha flag
and the rightmost flag.
Warning! Do not use layouts in OCAD.
OCAD cannot generate SVG output in this case.
- A sample OCAD file
with chair, flag, zero, flag letter and answer letter symbols.
WARNING! This file is new for the 4.1.10 version.
If you have an older one, you should use this, or change all
additional course setting symbols (chair, flags and flag letters)
to Finish type.
WARNING! Do not rotate the chair symbol!
TiM will do it by himself... :-)
- A sample OCAD event files
by Ari Tertsunen (map and course prepared for TiM maps + solutions).
- Configuration samples for making maps
version for 7"
and 9" tablets.
- Two A5 maps on one A4 page
(an SVG version).
The SVG output can be displayed and printed directly in some browsers.
Or you can use some other software that can display it (e.g. Inkscape).
- Two A5 maps on one A4 page
(a PDF version).
Conversion to PDF by Inkscape is sometimes not perfect,
you should check the maps, namely rasters.
- A solution map from a real event
(an SVG version).
The chair and flag/zero symbols are taken from OCAD, so you can have
your own ones.
- A solution map from a real event
(a PDF version).
If you have more classes, stages etc.,
you can prepare separate configuration file
and sets of SVG files for each class and use the CLASS option to
distinguish among map sheets for various classes (the class will be
printed in the map heading).
The answers for solution maps can be either configured in particular
Station section, or they can be prepared directly in the OCAD
as column H control description symbols.
In the latter case you must add the symbols in OCAD and
use symbol major numbers (before the dot) lower than 20.
If you have your own OCAD symbols for anything, check that these symbols
do not have major number (before the dot) from ranges 0-20 and 701-703.
These numbers are used for control description and course settings
and TiM uses these symbol numbers to recognize various parts of
the exported SVG.
Frequently asked questions:
- I don't see the map, only controls.
Check the background map transparency in the OCAD course file and
the Normal mode View in OCAD map file.
- A part of the control descriptions is not visible.
Check the exported SVG whether it contains
the whole control description area.
- After a change in maps in STAT mode, TiM does not work correctly.
Check whether you have exported new Courses XML file, too.
- Green color looks like a night bar neon.
Try to change a bit the definition of green color in OCAD
(add 25 % of black),
export the map to SVG and check whether the change is good enough.
- If you change a configuration value, you have to move the focus explicitly
(e.g. to click to another value, to save configuration etc.)
before you start Make Maps or Make Files.
Otherwise, TiM does not respect the last changed value when
executing the command.
- Do not split the main TiM window to more dockable panes,
otherwise TiM cannot handle correctly switching between panes.
Simply work only with one pane with several tabs.
- Sometimes, TiM can't kill Inkscape processes;
so if your computer becomes to be slow, check processes in the Task manager.
Selected competitions organized with TiM:
||Hungarian TORUS TempO Trophy, Zoltán Miháczi
||TRaVilO (WRE event), Janne Seppälä
||TORUS Turus Tournament + Play-offs, Juha Hiirsalmi
||Kurpark Warmbad 2021 (TORUS Cup), Anna+Hanka Straube
||Vyborg 2021 (TORUS Cup), Sergei Rusakov
||Swedish Forest Cup (TORUS Cup), Christian Enberg
||Morstorp 2020 (TORUS Cup), Christian Enberg
||Marie Kerr Park (TORUS Cup), Clare Durand
||Colombia 2020 (TORUS Cup), Wilder Andres Guerrero Hurtado
||Mäntsälä (TORUS Cup), Lauri Mäkinen
||Virtual-O (TORUS Cup), Ján Furucz
||Suikkila 2020 (TORUS Cup), Juha Hiirsalmi
||From my Window, Juan Pedro Valente
||Finnish TempO Training Weekend, Ari Tertsunen
||Mšenské TempO, Jiří Kalousek
||Fin5 Trail (WRE) – long/TC + TempO, Sami Hyvönen
||WTOC – long/TC + Relay + TempO, Nuno Pires
||PIOM (ECTO/WRE) – long/TC + TempO, Inês Domingues
||Mrazivé TempO Prague, Pavel Kurfürst
||TempO NAOM Castelo Vide, Luis Gonçalves
||Slovak Nomination #3+#4 – long/TC + TempO, Ján Furucz
||Madrid Trail-o Cup – TempO, Hector Lorenzo
||Spanish Championship – long/TC, Joao P. Valente
||Iberian Championship – long/TC, Joao P. Valente
||ECTO #9+#10 – long/TC + TempO Prague, Pavel Kurfürst
||ECTO #5+#6 – long/TC + TempO Friuli, Remo Madella
||CRO-HUN-ITA-SLO League – Varaždin TempO, Jasminka Cindrić Perković
||ETOC – long/TC + Relay + TempO, Ján Furucz
||Italian Championship – TempO, Renato Bettin
||Italian Cup – TempO Monza, Remo Madella
||Czech Cup – TempO Malešice, Jana Kosťová
||Czech Cup – TempO Mělník, Miroslav Šimek
||ECTO #9+#10, Ján Furucz
||Norwegian TempO Championship, Martin Jullum
- Ari Tertsunen, 16.11.2019
- I found extreme power and efficiency in TiM when creating all documents
for a two leg TempO event in early November.
A total of 14 stations with 5 tasks each was generated in minutes.
Naturally after a proper setup in OCAD.
Specially I enjoyed the "Solution map" feature of TiM.
The solution maps were fluent to specify
and the outlook of the solution maps is just perfect.
Batch processing of PDF files work fluently.
What a great experience!!
- Luis Gonçalves, 2. 4. 2019
- This tool is a huge step ahead for TrailO...
Fully customizable, easy to understand and easy to use.
Previously timed controls meant some hours of painful and risky work.
Now in 15 minutes we are able to do all the work
(cut, rotation, north arrows, numbering, control description) and
if we miss something with 3 or 4 "clicks" everything is fixed.
- Jasminka Cindrić Perković, 31. 5. 2018
- I'm really happy and satisfied with TIM.
Saving time and making it easier to create almost 50 minimaps for TempO,
it also allows me to incorporate map corrections in the last moment.
And the saved time I can spend on other organizational stuff :P
I have almost no comment on producing maps. That part is awesome :)
It helped me a great deal.
- Remo Madella, 21. 11. 2017
- Finally I had the chance to learn how to use ANT and TiM and
I can say they are awesome!
Libor you are a genius!
TempO organizers... please use TiM, you will save countless hours and
a lot of mistakes.
This is some light in the darkness of TrailO
- Ján Furucz, 21. 8. 2017
- I have to compliment Libor Forst and his automatic TrailO tool
for creating sheets for time controls or tempo controls
from OCAD source. 4 competitions, 2 categories, 2 stations and
3 or 4 tasks = 72 sheets about 20 minutes is miracle.
Just print and laminate ... Many thanks
Current version is 4.1.11(8).
- v 4.1.11 (14.2.2022, thanx to Ari Tertsunen)
- number of OCAD flag position marker symbols was reduced to one;
there is only "Flag" instead of "Correct Flag" and "False Flag"
(old configuration files and maps still work, of course)
- adapted inkscape calls according to a new behavior of
inkscape version 1.x
- the color of TiM special symbols can be changed to RED in TiM config
(in section Solutions)
- v 4.1.10
- changes in control description processing after renumbering of
OCAD symbols in last OCAD version
- changes in Inkscape call after releasing its version 1.0
- minor improvements in map production for web
- minor improvements in New directory structure recognition
- v 4.1.9
(8.11.2019, thanx to Ari Tertsunen and Jiří Kalousek)
- when selection a station, you can select more than one;
in solution maps this means that exactly this set of stations
will be printed (so you can use not only different scales but
also different map sizes for particular stations)
- slightly nicer default layout of window panels, toolbars etc.
- slightly nicer design of solution maps
- better detection of the number of tasks (simply count lines
in the control description that have a symbol in the column C)
- better recognition of course setting symbols and TiM special ones
- TiM special symbols for chair, flag, zero and flag letters are
now Finish symbols, so they do not have numbers in the map
that need to be removed
- TiM special symbols for flag and zero can have more parts
(but still only a single color) and they are rotated correctly
- v 4.1.8
(12.9.2019, thanx to Luis Gonçalves)
- tab order numbers may optionally contain a station number as a prefix
- when circle maps are used, you can choose to add short pieces of north
lines next to the map border to be printed
- v 4.1.7
(11.11.2018, thanx to Ari Tertsunen)
- when generating a new configuration (menu File/New)
in the STAT mode,
TiM opens the first map and
tries to guess number of tasks and flags
and also whether the "standard" symbols for chair (790.1) and
flags (790.2, 790.3) are used;
in a standard situation, the newly generated configuration
is now ready to produce the very first version of maps
that can be only tuned a bit
- TiM can prepare maps for stations with a single flag only (A/Z)
- in the Finnish version of OCAD, nonstandard symbol IDs are used
for control descriptions (outside the range 1 .. 19);
TiM can now work also with these numbers
- toolbar icons have tooltips
- v 4.1.6 (20.10.2018)
- in the solution sheets, every station can have
an individual scale for better readability
- in competition maps, the north arrow can be now
vertically linked to the control description instead of the map;
this is better for maps used
in the ANT
application on smaller tablets (7") oriented vertically
- the Source.Letters configuration parameter can be specified as
the major number so that all such symbols are considered to be
solution symbols; this allows add more symbols like "+" when you want
to express in the solution map the fact that one control circle
belongs to two tasks (e.g. "2+4")
- a logo file for solution sheets
is copied to the target directory whenever it has
a different last modification date and time
- BUGFIX: choosing of a subset from solution maps didn't work properly
- BUGFIX: the Target.Dir parameter didn't work properly
- BUGFIX: square shaped maps had incorrect clearing field
- v 4.1.5 (7.9.2018)
- some browsers do not accept quoting in comments;
so map object hiding is now done by removing instead of commenting out
- opening a configuration by dragging and dropping a config file
to an icon or TiM window is implemented
- when generating image files (using inkscape), TiM checks age
of source (SVG) and destination files and generates only
recently changed maps
- international alphabet words can be optionally printed together with
the answer letters on the pointing board
- a non-standard time limit can be configured
- TiM recognizes also single-station events where the station number
is missing in the course name
- a bug in direct printing was fixed
- other minor improvements and fixes
- v 4.1.4 (21.8.2018)
The main aim of this version was to add a support for making maps for
TempO training page.
- a new format of the Courses.xml (according the IOF XML version 3.0) implemented
- timeout for the start of the Inkscape was increased
- in the STAT mode,
TiM saves timestamps of seen courses.xml and map files
so that it can warn if next time only some of them are changed
- TiM corrects SVG background incorrectly generated by OCAD
- during map generation, TiM changes the window title so that you can easy recognize the finish
- map generation can be interrupted by pressing a STOP button
- v 4.1.3 (13.6.2018, thanx to Jasminka Cindrić Perković)
Solution maps are now more or less usable for real competitions.
- support for making Solution maps essentially improved
- map scale is read from OCAD exports (in STAT mode)
- sheet target margin is processed properly
- v 4.1.2 (4.1.2018)
- basic support for making Solution maps included
- workaround for Windows registry bug added
- fixed two-digit station numbers recognized and accepted
- need for document saving tested at application exit/document closing
- v 4.1.1 (20.10.2017)
- OCAD version 12 tested
- automatic mode of Column B completing
(TiM decides according to the original content)
- dynamic allocation of all large data (map lines and objects)
- more secure reading of OCAD map
- colored tabs available (see Event.TABCOLOR parameter)
- at start, TiM reopens ALL recently opened files
- v 4.1.0 (12.10.2017)
Mass printing (at least in draft mode) solved!
- added possibility to select only some maps to be created
- added the PNG, PS and EPS output formats to the new GUI version, too
- PNG output brings the possibility of mass printing
of all selected pages (in raster quality) directly from TiM
- v 4.0.2 (10.10.2017,
thanx to Martin Jullum and Ján Furucz)
A brand new version for Windows.
- automatic generation of starting configuration according
to the directory content
- per-station course possible instead of per-task ones
- autocalculation of rotation if chair and flags markers included
- possibility to hide additional symbols (like control number in the map)
- extremely detailed configuration (colors, margins, sizes, ...)
- answer pointing board added
- v 3.5 (5.9.2017, thanx to Martin Jullum)
The main aim of this version was to add a printing capability.
Unfortunately, Inkscape fails to print directly and, on Windows,
I can't find a way how to print many graphics files from
the command line.
- added support for mass printing (on UNIX only)
- control description color used by OCAD respected by TiM
- added possibility of output to PostScript formats
- spaces arround equal sign in configuration file ignored
- configuration keywords are case insensitive
- BUGFIX: incorrect export of cover sheet to PNG fixed
- BUGFIX: fixed quoting for directory paths with spaces
- v 3.4 (22.8.2017)
- works with both OCAD 9 and OCAD 10 export files
- font sizes for cover sheet and map heading
- v 3.3 (21.8.2017, thanx to Ján Furucz)
- cover sheet included
- control description is removed from source SVG map
- CLASS can be added to map title
- north arrow optionally on either side
- map border can have offset from map
- v 3.2 (18.8.2017)
- including original map instead of referencing it only
- control numbers are removed from map
- printing multiple A5 maps to A4 page
- tim accepts OCAD export in non 1:1 scale
- inkscape path added automatically
- output to PNG (e.g. for ANT maps)
- pdf/png output is made via temp file => write permission is checked